Weston is a village of scattered houses, with the main centre of population on its western boundary with Ringsfield, which which it shares a village hall. The village school in King's Lane, has been closed for many years, as has the Marlborough public house, both now private houses. St Peter's church is just off the A145 road, from which it is signposted. It has a handsome 15th century tower, a blocked Tudor south doorway of weathered brick and a lovely churchyard. Inside the towering "seven sacraments" font, also 15th century, was dramatically disfigured in Puritan times. The medieval benches with curious carvings, handsome arch-braced roof, and unusual James II Royal Arms are all of interest.
To the east, the parish of Ellough was combined with Weston in the 1970's when All Saints church was closed for regular use. All Saints is an interesting and beautiful medieval building, restored by Butterfield in the 1880's and cared for now by the Churches Conservation Trust. It is open daily and we hold occasional services here, including the annual Eucharist on Ascension Day. During the Second World War part of Ellough became RAF Beccles, an Air Sea Rescue base, although it was, and still is, known locally as Ellough Airfield. Today, a Heliport operates on part of the old airfield, some of the land has been returned to agriculture, and the remainder is an industrial estate and business park. Consequently, it is the only one of our parishes to provide a significant amount of employment to those from outside the Benefice.
St Peter's Weston is open from 10.00am to 5.00pm most days, although it may close earlier in winter.
All Saints Ellough is usually open daily.
No service at Weston but Morning Prayer at Sotterley at 9.30am.
11.15am Morning Prayer (BCP)
11.00am Holy Communion
6.30pm Evensong (BCP)
Please see News and Events page